Selecting a spa electrical service – 110-volt plug and play or 220-volt hard wired? Which is right for you?
You decided that now is the time to purchase a spa. You’ve picked the perfect location and can envision yourself relaxing and soothing those aching muscles. The next choice is: do you need it to operate on 110 volts or 220 volts? Here are some of the facts to help you chose.
Easy to install & great for renters
• Allows you to simply plug the tub into a standard wall outlet.
• No need for an electrician to run an expensive electrical service to power the tub. However, an additional electrical circuit may be required if you do not currently have an outlet capable of running the tub. Never power a tub from an extension cord. It will cause too much strain on the equipment and void your warranty.
• Allows for easy portability should you decide to move the tub from its’ original location. An excellent choice for someone who rents their home.
• Most tubs will only heat while the pump is running on low speed. Otherwise, it will require more amperage than a 110 volt circuit can provide. This can be an issue if you live in a colder climate and use the tub for an extended periods of time. The water temperature can drop during use on high speed.
Faster heating & consistent water temperature
• Requires a dedicated electrical service installed by a qualified electrician.
• It will be more difficult to move the tub to a new location compared to a 110 volt model.
• Allows for a faster initial heating of the water and maintains water temperature, regardless of the pump speed that you are using.
• 220 volt tubs allow you to choose from a larger selection of tubs which can include larger pumps, more seats and more jets.
A Quick Recap:
Easy setup • More portable • Lower performance in colder climates
Faster heating • Larger selection of tubs & parts • Requires electrician
So, now that you’re armed with this information, the search for the perfect tub is within reach. Let us help you narrow down your search. Our staff will be happy to direct you to something that will meet your needs and budget: